Robinson Mausoleum


John Robinson built this mausoleum in 1874 for $35,000. Although the basic form of the mausoleum is a Gothic Revival cruciform, the heavily rusticated blue limestone walls reflect a Romanesque influence. To contrast with the rough surface of the blue limestone, the architect chose marble for the smooth surfaces of the mausoleum. Statues of Faith, Hope, and Charity frame the entry while the Archangel Gabriel, surmounting the dome, has his horn at the ready, to signal the heavens of the impending arrival of another Robinson.

The Robinson family owned Robinson’s Circus from 1824 to 1916 when they sold it to the American Circus. It was subsequently merged with Ringling Brothers.
Text and photo © Douglas Keister Visit Doug’s Author Page

[address cemetery=”Spring Grove Cemetery” street=”Spring Grove Ave” city=”Cincinnati” state=”Ohio” zip=”45232″]

Powered by Intellibright.